[Phpwm] As we're doing introductions...

Marc Gale marc.gale at sbc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 1 14:41:29 BST 2006

Hi Folks,

It seems that we're in the middle of a round of introductions so I may as
well leap onto the band wagon.

I have been programming for ... quite a while now ... unfortunately it's
nearly all self taught.

I've tried assorted methods of learning, ranging from working it out myself,
reading other peoples obfuscated code, reading books, following online
tutorials, attending courses (when available), through to 'Kerplunking' with
working code (change something to make it break and therefore learn what
that piece of code actually did).

However, I've always found that talking to someone who already has the
knowledge works wonders.  It's just a shame that it's not the easiest one to
follow as you actually have to find someone.  I'm hoping that this list will
support that method.

I've programmed in assorted languages ranging from BASIC (Assorted versions
including the Sinclair computers and the PS2 Yabasic), Assembler (mainly
6502 but a chunk of Gameboy Z80), C (whilst building a MUD), Pascal (part of
a course which I then went on to teach), JAVA, Javascript, and now PHP which
I'm enjoying immensely.

I've always tried to understand what and how I should code something,
because then I find that all I have to do is follow the syntax and rules of
whichever language I'm using to achieve the desired result.

I'm also a huge fan of fantasy and games.  If I can do both at the same
time, even better.

Marc

believed to be clean.