[Phpwm] List of Rude Words

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:45:56 BST 2007

> Elliot,
> I think using a spam service might be a good solution. Not sure if I
> can use the ZF component will have to check if we're providing the
> hosting for the client, often when they buy their own they get really
> poor php4 hosting.
>
> Phil,
> You don't actually seem to be able to download the Profanisauraus, all
> I could find to download is some hangman game.
>
> Pete

That's because they want to sell you the book :-)
I'm not sure how well it would work anyway because a lot of it is phrase
based against single words.
To be honest I doubt if you will more than mildly suceed in what you are
attempting, since anyone who's used forums with this sort of filtering knows
its limitations - i.e spacing between letters, substituting a $ for an S
etc, thereby neatly sidestepping your list.
If I was writing something like that I would setup a system to grade
people - with a "report to moderator" type system, along the lines of an
increasing warning type system until they either get all posts moderated or
simply ban then.
The problem is that its quite easy to insult someone, more so via email,
without having to resort to any form of swearing.

And of course what is swearing in one context isnt in another.
I have a site which has the word "bastard" repeated many many times - it
sells engineering files!