[Phpwm] Cleaning up addresses

Dave Holmes dave at neteffekt.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 23:30:20 GMT 2007

Phil

You have mentioned this project numerous times and I really struggle to see
what is so complicated and time consuming about it as there are files
available that list all UK postcodes with a centroid longitude and latitude
value, which can be licensed for a few hundred pounds.

A simple navigational algorithm "greater circle" allows you to calc the
distance from postcode to postcode, a simple script can then be created
which will span out from the source postcode on an expanding radius to find
adjacent postcodes. Something which takes milliseconds on a normal machine
with MySQL (I know from my benchmarking).

Are you seriously saying you had a company employing four people doing data
entry for something that can be done in a few hours work, with a suitable
low cost data set?

Or am I seriously missing what you have put together here?

Dave