[Phpwm] (fwd) [SB] Court of appeals decision on software copyright

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 08:07:02 GMT 2007

> > Interesting - I wonder where that leaves the one click shopping
> basket which
> > Amazon have been defending vigourously for a few years.
> > Out in the cold hopefully!
>
> Well, the one click Amazon thing is a software patent, and only
> enforceable in
> the US. Some software patents have been granted in the UK / EU.... but
> they supposidely have to have some sort of hardware involved (i.e. pure
> software patents are not allowed).
>
> (I'm no expert on software patents... )
>
> David.
> --
> David Goodwin
>
> [ david at codepoets dot co dot uk ]
> [ http://www.codepoets.co.uk       ]

Have you read up on some of what Richard Stallman has to say on the
subject? - its quite interesting.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,2107481,00.htm
Personally I am against the idea of software patents as quite simply if they
came in big time any independent developer might as well just pack up and
find another job.

Copyright does however have its place and shouldn't be confused with patent
protection.