[Phpwm] Javascript / IE / prototype issues.

Paul Matthews paul.matthews.86 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 17:46:00 BST 2007

Good afternoon,

I've been having a problem today, with the above mentioned: IE + Javascript
+ prototype and I'm hoping someone on the list can help / point me in the
right direction.

The task I'm trying to do (well part of it anyway) is copy a row of data and
create a new row exactly the same after it. As I've mentioned a few times
before, I'm using the prototype framework to do so, but I've run into what
I'd consider to be flaws:
1) There's no HTML Object to HTML code, though innerHTML is close, it's not
the entirely there.
2) all of prototype's DOM insert methods take in html strings (and use
string id's for inserting before / after / above / down).
3) When I've tried to use the methods with innerHTML I've got from other
objects, nothing happens.
4) IE seems to not like innerHTML very much, I've come across a lot of
problems, trying to do it, of course none of the errors are helpful either.
5) When trying to clone the objects for obj.appendChild(cloned_obj), the
objects are shallow cloned, which to all intents and purposes is pointless!
6) I can't seem to appendChild() on a select element with option elements,
god knows why but even Firefox doesn't like that one, it gives an error 'Node
cannot be inserted at the specified point in the hierarchy" code: "3'

So all in all, I've spent ages on this problem and I'd really appreciate any
assistance people could give. The original code looked like this:

### start ###

function addAnotherProduct() {
    table = $('products_table');
    new_row = table.insertRow(-1);
    new_row.className = "partRow";
    new_row.innerHTML = table.rows[1].innerHTML;
}

I'd give you the most recent code, but it's been through around 30 changes
today, non of which have worked.

I'm really hoping a fresh pair of eyes on this will see something that I
really can't.

Good luck, from Paul Matthws

(and thank you to anyone who replies, no matter how useful).