[Phpwm] tag clouds

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 12:21:19 BST 2007

> > But where the heck on the site do you actually put it?
>
> I've only ever used them as navigation aid for users with the
> knowledge that
> it doesn't hurt for indexing purposes. I guess you could create a
> page with
> the cloud on it, call it something sensible and presume that the crawler
> will pick it up.
>
> FWIW we've used Google sitemaps with good results:
> http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemap
>
> db

So when you do that how many clouds would you put on the site?

I'm thinking of generating a root level one, top category, sub-category and
page level on a CMS system. In that if you have a lot of pages in the CMS
then 50 words in the root level isn't going to really reflect site content
much?

If the metas for that page were set for a short revisit period it could be
autoupdated via cron to a database entry and pulled into a standardly named
page very easily.

It feels that it should be good for S/E indexing.
I wonder though if the S/E is capable of doing a text to cloud cross
comparison for the purposes of ensuring it wasnt used for page booting /
index spamming techniques.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
17:03