[Phpwm] Intellectual Property Agreements

Alex Mace alex at hollytree.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 11:57:15 BST 2007

In terms of solictors, at my previous employers we used to use Rickerby's in
Cheltenham - they seemed pretty hot on IP, plus the guy there who dealt with
IP was one of those kids on Jim'll Fix It who ate their food on a roller
coaster. They provided us with a spec contract for £600 which covered all
points of IP and basically said that you grant them a license to use your
software, but you retain all IP for it. That nicely covers you from them
creating new works based on your work.

I think it depends on what grounds you did the work at the moment - if you
did it as an employee of theirs then they own the work. Otherwise as Dave
says, I believe you own it.

There was also some good stuff on IP in the discussion part of episode 15 of
the .net podcast - http://www.netmag.co.uk/zine/podcast

Hope all that helps!

Alex