[Phpwm] SOAP/XMLRPC/ Web services question

Elliot Smith elliot at townx.org
Mon Apr 7 23:12:05 BST 2008

Hello David,

In answer to your specific questions:

David Goodwin wrote:
> Thanks! I'm still not clear on what the difference between them is
> though. Why REST and not XMLRPC? Do more 'clients' support XMLRPC than
> REST (or vice versa).
XMLRPC is a relatively simple, constrained protocol. REST is more
flexible (but less well-defined). Any client which supports HTTP
supports either, I'd guess. I'd see XML-RPC as a hobbled subset of REST.

> From looking at the Zend Framework server/client components, XMLRPC
> 'seems' better, as :
>
>  - There's no need to have ->get() on the end of function calls.
Maybe in the Zend Framework. From a quick glance, I'd say the ZF REST
client looks a bit on the clunky side. For me, one major benefit of REST
is that a web browser is an adequate client (retrieval of data is
usually a GET plus querystring): it's easier to poke some REST
interfaces, as they have open URLs on the interface; XML-RPC (correct me
if I'm wrong) requires a structured method call in the request body. For
C_UD operations, I'd have a look at the Java REST client
(http://code.google.com/p/rest-client/).
>  - It supports namespaces...
In the response body? Presumably because you're returning XML documents
conforming to some schema? Nothing to stop you doing this with a REST
response body (if you're returning XML). I also like that REST doesn't
prohibit you returning HTML, JSON etc., while XML-RPC seems to suggest
XML is your main route :)

Elliot