[Phpwm] PHP Vs .net

Justin Joyce Justin.Joyce at cit.coop
Tue Dec 2 14:59:56 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Long time lurker although have made one or two posts before...

I have a quick question (quick in that the question is short.. I don't
imagine the answers will be!) on the subject of PHP vs .Net as a
development platform for large ecommerce sites...

Our current ecommerce site is built on a MS SQL database and has
recently been re-written in .net (previously asp). The site uses a
number of third party API's who recommend the MS platform as their
preferred solution although in most cases we are aware of other sites
using the same API's successfully in a PHP / MYSQL environment. What I
am looking for are your views on moving the site away from the current
MS platform to an open source solution utilising PHP and other open
source tools / databases... we have talked about it with the .net
developers and they are (naturally) bleating about lack of support and
all the usual BS...  therefore I guess my question is... Should PHP /
MYSQL be seriously considered for a reasonably busy ecommerce site that
needs 24 hour uptime, 99% reliability, PCI DSS compliant security etc
etc.

Thanks in advance for your time in reading this / answering.

Cheers

Justin

Please don't print this email unless you really need to...
Co-operative IT is part of The Midcounties Co-operative
The Midcounties Co-operative is an innovative co-operative business, owned by its customers and staff in the 9 counties it spans. We trade in a number of retail sectors including food, travel, funerals, motors, childcare, pharmacy, post offices and IT. We are proud to be a successful co-operative, founded on co-operative values and principles that co-ops share throughout the world.
This e-mail is confidential and is for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the named recipient(s) please do not disseminate or copy this e-mail, but please delete it and any copies from your computer. The Midcounties Co-operative has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been checked for viruses. However, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of any such viruses and advise you to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Furthermore, we do not accept responsibility for any change made to this message after it was sent by the sender.
This Message has been Scanned by SurfControl(c) Email Filter