[Phpwm] PHP Vs .net

Dave Holmes dave at neteffekt.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 15:32:55 UTC 2008

Hi Justin,

We have been through two years+ development on our own e-commerce
platform which is based entirely on OS technologies and is running many
websites on the same infrastructure. In terms of should PHP be
considered for "24 hour uptime, 99% reliability" this is not really a
consideration as this is just the programming language, If your
infrastructure fails it does not matter what you developed in...

The real question is can you create a robust environment using open
source technologies and the answer is yes!

For example it's fairly straight forward to set-up a pair of load
balancers running in active / passive mode with automated fail-over that
proxy the requests to a farm or web servers running apache / php. You
can then play around with switching of individual servers to mimic
hardware failures and see how the environment copes. To trial all this
we had 6 fedora core servers running virtually inside VMware which saves
loads of set-up time and having a load of rackmounts at the end of the
desk ;)  Search the web for things like "Heartbeat", "Pound", "NGINX"

MySQL also has loads of HA options ranging from full clusters right
through to simple replication it really comes down to what you are
after, if the .net developers are worried about support buy them a
support licence! You need support when things go wrong can't say I have
really had problems with MySQL and therefore no support requirements
unlike my distant past tangling with the wast of space that was MSSQL

Dave