[Phpwm] PHP Vs .net

Chris Lovell stormys at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 16:45:31 UTC 2008

No, I'd really peg a lot of the troubles stemming from this as
infrastructure issues, as mentioned previously. MySQL is used by companies
like Google (Adwords was setup using
it<http://xooglers.blogspot.com/2005/12/lets-get-real-database.html>,
for example.)

Ultimately, so long as your infrastructure is sufficient, then language/DB
won't matter massively. Personally, I'd be of the opinion that if you've
already got a system using a certain technology, stick with it. You've
already got the techies and wotnot required to support the architechture
you're currently using, why go through the expense of retraining etc...?

One mitigating point may be that you obviously get a much lower overhead
using FOSS as opposed to proprietory, but when the main requirement is
stability then it's not so much of an issue.

Chris

-btw, have to agree on calling shenanigans on your .net bods moaning about
lack of support - because of course M$ offers so much additional support to
their products over the support LAMP systems have!