[Phpwm] RSS Feeds

Daniel Davies daniel at sitedesign.net
Fri Feb 1 15:40:32 GMT 2008

I was going to reply, but I can't say with 100% accuracy... if it helps...

The <link rel... tag is what your browser, and things like search
crawlers use to tell if there is an RSS feed available for a page (in
firefox you get the RSS icon in the address bar), so I assume if there
is a reader that can auto-detect an RSS feed from the site's domain
thats how it'll do it. To my knowledge there is no 'default' RSS
location. After all a default location would require a default file
extension, which means dynamic feeds would require some kind of mime
manipulation or mod_rewrite to get them going to your language of
choice. Hopefully someone else can elaborate further if there is any
kind of default location.

Regards,

Daniel Davies

pete graham wrote:
> Phew, an answer, I was beginning to worry that someone had deleted the internet!
>
> I'm thinking that google reader only finds the feed from the url if
> the site has been spidered by the googlebot. The site I was testing is
> still at its dev url (its not live yet) so wont be in the search
> engine.
>
> Pete
>
> On 01/02/2008, Alastair Battrick <al at aj8.org> wrote:
>
>> pete graham wrote:
>>
>>> Does a rss feed need to be in a certain place on a site so rss readers
>>> (such as google reader) will find it if a users only provides the
>>> sites domain as the feed location?
>>>
>>> Or do I need to add markup to the index.php pages header such as this:
>>> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0"
>>> href="http://<?php echo $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']?>/rss/index.php" />
>>>
>> I use this (in the HTML head section), I do not think there is a
>> standard location for a RSS file for it to be recognised automatically.
>>
>> <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS"
>> href="http://www.pitchcare.com/rss/articles" />
>> --
>> Alastair Battrick
>> http://www.aj8.org

Daniel Davies

Web Sitedesign.net Ltd
Birchley House
Birchfield Lane
Oldbury
West Midlands
B69 1DT

Tel: 0121 543 4840
Fax: 0121 543 4841

http://www.sitedesign.net

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Web Sitedesign.net Ltd.