[Phpwm] mod_frontpage

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 11:14:15 GMT 2008

Hi Andy,
I didnt know you were on here mate!

It is actually disabled on the Raq, in that its deactivated withing th GUI
etc, however what I am doing is the Security Metrics credit card merchant
compliance testing and somehow its seeing the module is there and
potentially available and is coming back with;

The remote host is using the Apache mod_frontpage module. mod_frontpage
older than 1.6.1 is vulnerable to a buffer overflow which may allow an
attacker to gain root access. *** Since SMetrics was not able to remotely
determine the version *** of mod_frontage you are running, you are advised
to manually *** check which version you are running as this might be a false
*** positive. If you want the remote server to be remotely secure, we advise
you do not use this module at all. Solution: Disable this module Risk
Factor: High CVE : CVE-2002-0427 BID : 425

It's really just about the only thing that's giving grief on this now, apart
from tweaking the PHP and MySQL versions to the latest - I've even managed
to update BIND and stop the DNS recursion lookups.

Phil