[Phpwm] mysql and oracle

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 20:31:54 UTC 2009

j michaelson wrote :
> I've been reading about how sun owns the commercial version of mysql
> and now it might be bought by oracle. It sounds likes mysql is in
> competition to oracle's own databases, so it's unlikely oracle will
> support mysql once they own it. There's a possibility that the gpl
> version might be forked if this happens.
>
> Does that sound accurate?
>
> Would any of you be affected by the commercial version stagnating?

No.

a) The commercial version is normally buggier than the O/S version due
to their weird release model; most people I know run e.g. the Debian
version of MySQL. Some who worry about performance might use e.g. the
Percona (spelling?) fork.

b) If Oracle to strangle MySQL, development will shift (more) towards
producing a forked version ...

c) I think there's some fuss in the EU regarding oracle owning MySQL
etc... but I've not paid attention to it.