[Phpwm] magento

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Dec 14 20:33:48 UTC 2009

j michaelson wrote :
> My brother in law is making websites with magento and I remember
> hearing some pretty bad things about it at the meal we had at
> wagamamas. What exactly is wrong with magento and are there any
> similar products that do a better job?
> Thanks.

Random summary:

1) It's very slow
2) There are a lot of XML Files involved
3) The API is not necessarily complete - it appears to offer all the
features you need, but then you may find they aren't completely
implemented
4) There aren't many people out there who do Magento development
5) Theming is apparently difficult.

I looked at Magento about 2-3 years ago; a lot may have chanced since
then... but I've not heard many speak good about it.