[Phpwm] project deployment strategy

Daniel Davies email at danux.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 13:09:32 UTC 2009

Hi Kevin,

We currently have a production server that runs sites straight out of
subversion. We have a structure similar to this

/srv/svn/
- conf
|-- virutal_host
|-- virtual_hosts
- project1
|-- devel
|-- test
|-- live
- project2
|-- devel
|-- test
|-- live

Our host files set the document root to live and when we want to put
something live, we just merge devel in to test for testing, then devel
to live to actually make the changes live. It's been working great for
us, even with python projects (which require an apache restart, we just
do that on an svn hook). Keeping virtual hosts in conf is working out
really well too, our developers don't have any direct access to the
server with this setup.

We also have the local server in the office do an hourly checkout of
devel, so the non-techy people here are able to view sites and we keep a
local backup just in case.

Regards,

Daniel Davies