[Phpwm] Web log analyser

Reuben Pearse reuben.pearse at pslconnect.com
Tue Nov 10 10:03:58 UTC 2009

Dave,

I'm interested to find out more about the mod_rewrite rules to pipe all
page requests through a single PHP page.

Do you have an example .htacess file?

Also does anyone have a PHP file that creates log files in the same format
as Apache access_log files?

We use AWStats on a number of sites for processing logfiles from Apache,
IIS and Domino. It's especially useful for spotting website errors (i.e.
404s) and hack attempts. It's also good for tracking the bandwidth usage on
a site (something you don't get on Google Analytics). The "ExtraSection"
functionality is good for creating reports that show things like the Top
100 downloads.

There was a good article in issue 189 of the .net magazine that detailed
how to track downloads (and other specific events) using Google Analytics

--
Reuben Pearse

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Dave Holmes <dave at neteffekt.co.uk>                                                                                                                |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |West Midlands PHP User Group <phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk>                                                                                           |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |06/11/2009 17:19                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [Phpwm] Web log analyser                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |phpwm-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk                                                                                                                  |

Mike,

Sounds like you have access to the server to be able to analyse the logs so
you may also be in control of apache, most of the log analysers I've ever
looked at are guff....

I'd go with Google analytics and there is a way you can do this without
getting the designers to implement your tracking code in there sub domains
or micro sites.

Firstly us apache mod_rewrite rules to pipe all page requests through a
single PHP page, which then use the request URI to show the appropriate
page from the sub site.

Secondly if you then use the output buffering in PHP you will be able to
generate the whole page and then modify from your centralised pass through
page, by modify I mean inject your google analytics tracking code before
the end of the body tag.

All sub sites then tracked through one account.

Just a though

Dave

Mike Tipping wrote:
      Yes I've used googles download tracking before but this site is
      actually a
      collection of sites under the same domain all done by different
      designers so
      getting them to add google tracking code isn't going to work.

      It needs to be logfile analysis.

      Cheers

      Mike

      On 6/11/09 12:06, "Stephen Orr" <steve at stephenorr.co.uk> wrote:

            You can set up Google Analytics to track file downloads too -
            I'm
            pretty sure there's information on how to do that in their
            docs.
            Obviously, it doesn't work if you're doing direct downloads,
            only if
            you're going through a page first which is serving the file
            (but in
            reality, you probably should be doing that anyway, precisely to
            enable
            you to gather these sorts of statistics).

            I don't know of anything better than AWstats for log file
            analysis -
            I'm sure there's products out there, but it's just not
            something I've
            ever needed to study.

            2009/11/6 Mike Tipping <mike at etuna.co.uk>:

                  I need a web stats package for a big site.

                  Currently I use AWStats - but that only gives an overview
                  of the top pages
                  and Google Analytic - but that doesn't track file
                  downloads.

                  Can anyone recommend something that works through log
                  file analysis and
                  gives me the access stats for everything not just the top
                  50 pages.

                  Cheers

                  Mike

                  Facebook:
                  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2361609907

                  Post to list: Phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk
                  Archive etc :

            Post to list: Phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk

      Post to list: Phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk

Post to list: Phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient or person  responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you have received this communication in error and must not
distribute or copy it.  Please accept the  sender's apologies, notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this communication. Thank
you.