[Phpwm] PHP or JavaScript

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 15:54:45 UTC 2010

>  >It should be the case that Javascript merely enhances the user
>  >experience - e.g. adding a popup calendar, rather than someone having to
>  >type in 2010/01/21 or provides e.g client side validation (i..e no need
>  >to click submit and wait for the server to respond).
>
>  >In an ideal world, PHP does everything (validation, data presenting etc)
>  >and then Javascript perhaps makes the page more interactive - but if JS
>  >is turned off everything continues to be usable.
>
>  >David.
>
> Hi David
>
> This is how I see it. I just need to mindful of the "if JS is turned off
> everything continues to be usable."
> I have seen some very nice and well presented content using JS which you
> can't do with PHP, hence my question.
>
> Mo

Mo - yes - depending on your circumstances it may be acceptable to make
Javascript a requirement for using the site. Certainly many of the
applications we produce will not work without Javascript. Hence "In an
ideal world..." as it's not always worthwhile catering for 1% of
potential users - especially if it's to be a corporate style application
where people don't really get to choose their platform.

You can obviously have a <noscript> good luck </noscript> (or whatever
it is) in place.