[Phpwm] MySQL case insensitive string comparison

Dan Dart dandart at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 24 12:49:49 UTC 2010

Have you tried using the lower/upper/camel case instructions in PHP to make
MySQL see what you want?

Jolly confusing how it all seems to contradict itself.

On 24 Jun 2010 13:39, "Mike Tipping" <mike at etuna.co.uk> wrote:

Whenever I run a select in Mysql based on a string comparison, the
comparison is always case sensitive so where 'name' in the DB is 'mike',
select * from table where name = 'MIKE'; won't return results.

Looking at the MySQL documentation it says that case sensitivity on
comparisons depends on the collation and if I use 'latin1_swedish_ci' (which
I do) the comparison will be case insensitive (which it isn't).

It also says that STRCMP() is by default case insensitive, but when I try
that it still doesn't return anything.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong or what I can use to do a case
insensitive string comparison in MySQL.

Cheers

Mike

Post to list: Phpwm at mailman.lug.org.uk