[Phpwm] Off the shelf shopping cart software vs roll-your-own

Bronwen Reid info at bronwenreid.com
Tue Oct 19 07:53:37 UTC 2010

  A general, not very php question here.  When building a site for a
client, I'd always rather roll my own shopping cart software than work
with an off-the-shelf product, whether open-source or commercial.

I've found that off-the-shelf is fine provided you want to do exactly
what it says on the tin and build a perfectly generic site - no monkey
business, no deviating from the norm.  And then if you want anything
extra - vouchers, partial VAT, affiliate tracking, stock management,
product options, upload images, changes to site searching or navigation
- this is where the fun starts.  It also seems to be where all the
companies who are selling shopping cart packages for $45 make their
money - you're using their product and now you want an extra features
... pay up buster.

But is there anyone here who uses off-the-shelf and likes it ?

By the way, I don't mean the small "just setting up a webshop to sell
funky earrings" people, but regular companies who are setting up or
expanding their e-commerce business.

--
Bronwen Reid, Web Development, www.bronwenreid.com