[Phpwm] Off the shelf shopping cart software vs roll-your-own

Simon Emms simon at simonemms.com
Tue Oct 19 13:38:10 UTC 2010

I tend to agree with that.  But then again, I subscribe to the school of
thought that code you know inside-out is always best.  A couple of years
ago, I was asked to do a CMS job and developed my own extendable framework
that I use for pretty much everything.  While someone looking at it wouldn't
be familiar with it (and slower), I know it so well that I can do lots of
complex things fairly easily.

Generally, my advice would be the same.  If this is a one-off job and you'll
never get asked to anything remotely similar in the future, use an
off-the-shelf one.  If not however, think about developing a framework with
basic functions and the ability to extend it easily.  That way, it solves
the previous correspondents' gripe about bug fixes as the basic
functionality will be solid - just might take 6 months to get it to that
stage.

Like with everything in life, it's a question of compromise.