[Phpwm] Broadband recommendations.

Richard Wallman richard at wallman.org.uk
Thu Sep 30 19:44:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 07:46:52PM +0100, Mike Tipping wrote:

> So who does everyone else use and are they any good?

Zen Internet.

Also not the cheapest provider out there, but static IPs come as
standard.

I've been with them for about 7 years now, and in that time I've *never*
had less than my line-rate for download speeds (no contention or traffic
shaping) and they upgraded me twice with no change in the monthly cost
(I'm paying the same for "up to 20Mbps" now as I was when I originally
signed up for the 512Kbps service!).

I've only had to call their technical support line *once* in all this
time, and that's only because BT Residential were being bloody useless
and demanded that I get my broadband provider to request a line check
(it became very noisy, nothing to do with Zen).

There's even a nice little Firefox plugin that shows your current quota
usage. :)

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-office-broadband.aspx

Free activation if you migrate, and the 1 month contract term means if
you don't get on with them you can quickly switch again.

YMMV - if you're on crap copper, you'll get crap speeds, regardless of
who you go with.

--
Richard Wallman