[Phpwm] linkedin group is now open

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 08:34:45 UTC 2011

Camilo Mesias wrote:
> I think the trouble is, it's too easy to create opportunities for
> denial of service if there isn't some kind of authentication backing
> up a request to subscribe or block mailings. Imagine if someone could
> impersonate you, on a website, and simply ask for no more mails to be
> sent to you - when you are a keen user of that site.
>
> Authentication usually comes from email based interactions that
> establish a relationship between the site and the user. So there is a
> chicken and egg type problem if you want to unsubscribe without
> establishing a relationship with the service...

Well I don't see a problem here?
Facebook/twiter/digit provide a link on invitation emails to 'decline', which
has a unique ticket number for the request, and that has to be in tact to action
the 'decline' ...
Phishing attempts would not have that tag and so could not do any damage? There
are a lot of facebook and other phishing emails coming through, but they always
have identifiable content and 1&1 deal with those for my mailboxes.

Additionally it would seem that the industry is starting to get on top of rogue
sites. Where a problem email makes it through I do occasionally follow it, only
to find that the end has already been cut. Which is nice to see, and where not
cut, a quick email to the relevant 'abuse' department seems to be acted upon
nowadays. I've had a couple of nice responses back this year, and the link has
been dealt with!

If we work together we will be able to tidy the mess up.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL