[Phpwm] Time management

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 07:45:55 UTC 2011

OK - my little rant about social network sites came about because I was
reviewing just WHAT I do all day ;) And handling emails can be a big chunk. I've
been at it an hour this morning already :(

For various reasons I am still using seamonkey, and have email history back to
1997. Actually it may be earlier, but that is the earliest I've hit recently.
When problems arise I can very quickly search through past messages and often
find an answer within seconds. Something that on-line methods of working do not
provide quite so easily. Hence my preference not to become embroiled with that
method of working.

Another area that I have been wasting a lot of time on recently is 'version
control', and while checking around a found a thread about that here back in '09
asking about git usage but which seemed to peeter out. SO is it about time to
reopen the discussion? What are people using nowadays?

I have been using Eclipse for many years and it's integrated CVS and later SVN
clients just work and I still find them the best way of handling complex modular
projects which need to work on both windows and linux. Often I have to check
which machine I am on since Eclipse is so transparent.

The current time wasting comes in where projects have 'improved' by switching to
git and personally I am finding that it is just a retrograde step since many of
the good things about CVS/SVN are ignored in the drive to make 'building' code a
lot easier. Since we do not 'build' php applications as such, git just seems to
get in the way. The main problem is that git cross platform support is poor. Yes
it can be used on windows but with a lot of problems. It is essentially a
command line package, and integration into Eclipse is only partially complete,
with the windows version simply not working the same as the Linux, and neither
providing as transparent an interface as CVS.

Hg has proven to be a lot more 'windows friendly' and just as capable, with
hggit providing direct access to github and actually works much better on
windows that git's own third party tools. SO I have been running an Hg clone of
all of the git bits I need access to, but still have to manage this outside
Eclipse. I can't simply hit 'sync' and pull up a complete report of changes as I
get currently with CVS/SVN in Eclipse.

I spent Thursday and Friday taking a step back so I could work out exactly where
the problems were and check out the current state of play with all of the
development platform. I even went back to the start and reinstalled eclipse,
which is a doddle since there is now a nice bundled package for 'javascript'
development which includes all I need for the web stuff. I am still using
phpEclipse rather than switching to PDO, since I am just used to the way it
works AND can hack the code when I need to. But it's at this point that things
become considerably messy as there is not a 'single' path forward to add DVCS
support ..

Anybody got any ideas for a way forward? My own thought today is to simply stop
contributing back where a project has ignored the objections and simply ploughed
ahead with git or hg. Progress should at least be productive, but I am not
finding DVCS adds anything but obstructions :(

( And that is another 30 minutes wasted :) )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL