[Phpwm] Job Opportunities

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 20:31:29 UTC 2011

> I have to say that it is interesting (and a little frustrating) that, in this time of austerity, huge job losses and the highest rate of school leavers being on the dole in recent times, developers are in such seemingly short supply.

Personally I've not really seen any sign of a downturn - but I'm hesitant to draw a sweeping conclusions from that - the fact we [palepurple] are busy could be a combination of luck, improved google rankings or some weird influence from the moon.

There does seem to be a shortage of good developers.... for various definitions of 'good'.
It may be that PHP is hit by universities who seem to concentrate on Java/.Net (so a large proportion of graduates go to Java / .Net based jobs) and Java developers tend to earn significantly more than PHP ones (at least they did the last time I looked, which isn't very recent).