[Powys] Intro, modems and hard disks

Dave Briggs d at vebrig.gs
Tue Dec 5 15:10:01 GMT 2006

Hi chaps

Just joined the LUG as I have recently moved to Llansantffraid. Not
too big a move as I was in Shropshire recently.

I have been playing about with linux distros on and off for a few
years, mainly Mandriva/drake and Ubuntu. Couple of weekends ago I
installed the latest Ubuntu on my main desktop machine, dual booting
with Windows for now, and am looking to move permamently away from
Windows in the near future.

Main interests are web based, specifically around 'social media',
blogs, wikis and that sort of thing; as well as the web based office
and all the web2.0 stuff that's floating around.

Ubuntu installed like a dream, only I don't have web access at the
moment as I am waiting for Pipex to connect me up. I'd like to know if
anyone has any recommendations for an ethernet modem so I can get
online in Ubuntu as soon as the phone line is sorted.

Second thing is that I would like to get a second (external) hard
drive, probably USB connected, to store media like audio, video and
photos on. Again, does anyone have a recommendation, and also will I
need to format it in Ubuntu, or will it work out of the box?

Cheers!

--
Dave Briggs