[Powys] Intro, modems and hard disks

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 7 13:50:48 GMT 2006

Hello Dave,

Moving this bit of reply back on-list, just in case Powys
has any other subscribers ;-)

On Thursday 07 December 2006 08:33, Dave Briggs wrote:
> > Any ethernet modem should work with any Unix desktop. However
> > Ubuntu runs IPv6 by default, and doesn't like routers with cheap,
> > old firmware that reject its IPv6 advances :-(
> > If you should end up with such an old clunker, Ubuntu is easily
> > persuaded back to IPv4.
>
> Would this http://tinyurl.com/y695nc be suitable do you think?

I should think so - it even runs an embedded GNU/Linux inside =o)
http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/ADSL2MUE

Note that there is some GPL-violation in the full sources not being
distributed - I'm sure this will be resolved soon (if not already), as
FSF are pretty good at dealing with these cases :-)

There are other APs that run GNU that are quite popular for
hacking about, but this looks like a bargain, so go for it :-)

 - Richard

btw I'm aware that Powys has five times more sheep than human beings,
so if there _is_ anyone else on the list, just give a bleat ;-)

Richard Smedley,                                    richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant
http://m6-it.org/           ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''