[Preston] A new hope for Debian wannabees?

John preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 9 00:32:01 2002

Hi All,

I am struggling on with Debian but I have not been able to get my NIC
working. It is a Netgear (Realtek) which uses the rtl8139 driver but this
does not seem to appear anywhere in Debian 3.0's list of driver files. It
seems to want to use natsemi.o for some reason??!!?? I have set up the usual
pasms in /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf and configured this machine to have an
IP od 192.168.1.50 and a gateway of 192.168.1.100 (my ipcop firewall machine
which connects to the internet via an external mode). However, any attempts
to ping 192.168.1.100 results in "destination unreachable" messages. When I
do an lsmod, I can see natsemi is loaded (but unused by anything). I do have
a rtl8139.c file on a cdrom which came with the NIC, but I can't seem to get
it to compile (admittedly the instructions are for redhat). It comes back
with an error telling me to compile it with the -O option. I have tried this
(although the README.TXT says to use -O6) but to no avail... If anybody out
there has got Debian experience and can help me to get my Debian PC to talk
to my lan via a RealTek 8139 NIC it would be really appreciated...

Thanks

John