[Preston] IPCop

John preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 23:48:01 2002

Steve,

Thanks for replying......

 My Setup is as follows:

 IBM Cyrix PR166 with 28MB RAM
34.1GB Hard drive
Netgear 32 Bit PCI 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet FA311

 First of all, I had problems creating the actual IPCOP CDROM. I download=
ed
the 26MB .ISO file from Sourceforge but being fairly new to all this, I
simply copied it to a CDROM drive using EASY CD CREATOR 5. It didn't boot
(of course) so then I downloaded ISOBuster to extract the directories/fil=
es
in the ISO image and then copy them to a CDR using Easy CD Creator. I
specified "Make this a boot CDROM" when burning. When I tried to boot fro=
the CD using the CYRIX box, nothing happened. I then decided to try booti=
ng
from RedHat 7.1 installation CD which worked and installed successfully o=
the IBM/CYRIX machine.

Next, I copied the boot image off the IPCop .ISO download to a floppy and
was able to boot from that on the IBM/Cyrix. I tried to get it to install
from CDROM but the CDROM spins but nothing happens. If I eject the CDROM,=
am prompted to insert the IPCOP CDROM!!!

Next I tried to boot from the floppy disk again (having also created the
driver diskette). There are no drivers on the driver diskette for my netg=
ear
NIC so I copied the FA311.o file to the driver diskette and tried again.
However, it didn't appear in the list of available drivers. This means th=
at
I never get to the stage of doing a network install as my NIC is never
recognised. I seem to be in a catch 22 as I can't do a CDROM install nor =
can
I do a network install (which admittedly I have never done before and hav=
no experience of).

I think I have a few fundamental misconceptions / misunderstandings about
both burning CD's and performing network installs....

The .iso file that I downloaded from sourceforge, am I right in assuming
that there is more to it than just copying it out to a CD? (the IPCop
documentation is not very clear on burning it out to a CD). If so, what
exactly should appear on the CD after it has been burned if say I were
browsing it using explorer on windows or if I did an "ls -l" on Linux?
Should I see directories such as bin, lib etc or should I see
IPCop-0.1.1.iso for example?

In order to get thr driver for my NIC onto the driver floppy and have the
IPCop install recognise this new driver, what do I have to do?

Once (If?) I finally get IPCop install to recognise my NIC and apply the
appropriate driver, what do I need to do with the .iso file that I
originally downloaded? I have several other machines on my lan: Windows M=
E,
Windows 98 and a Redhat 7.3 box. Do I need to set up an HTTP or FTP serve=
on one or other boxes in order to "serve" the ".iso" file? Maybe the .iso
file should be extracted first using ISObuster or winimage perhaps? I do
have samba installed on the RH 7.3 box and have a shared partition on the
windows ME box of 1.2GB does that help me in any way?

Would really appreciate any help you can give .....

Thanks

John