[Preston] RE: memory

John preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Nov 9 15:36:02 2002

A good idea but unfortunately I don't have a mouse with a 9-pin female end
on it, only the PS/2 type (same for keyboard).

I have tried a complete re-install of IPCop but still cannot access the
modem. Trying to change the port to COM2 etc. on the Admin GUI dialup web
page doesn't help as it always defaults back to COM1 when I press save
(presumably because IPCOP knows that I have only one serial port).

I checked dmesg and can see:

serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttys00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of th university of california
PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
PPP line discipline registered

in /proc/ioports

03f8-03ff : serial(auto)

/proc/modules

ppp        20752    0 (unused)

Usually, I would expect to see a soft link between /dev/modem and /dev/ttys0
or /dev/ttys1 depending on which COM port the modem is plugged into. Am I
right in assuming that IPCop points directly to /dev/ttys0?

I tried:

chat -v /dev/ttys0
+++ATZ

but the program hung for a minute or two before dropping back to the shell
prompt.. I tried logging in as root on the box and running various scripts
in the /etc/ppp directory. I can see the following entries in
/var/log/messages:

kernel: registered device ppp0
pppd[390]: pppd 2.4.1 started
pppd[390]: using interface ppp0
pppd[390]: connect ppp0 <--> /dev/tty1
pppd[390]: LCP timeout sending config requests
pppd[390]: connection terminated
pppd[390]: receive serial link is not 8 bit clean
pppd[390]: problem all had bit 7 set to 0
pppd[390]: exit

ipcop: Dialing BTinternet
pppd[421]: pppd 2.4.1. started by root uid 0
pppd[421]: using interface ppp0
pppd[421]: local ip address 10.64.64.64
pppd[421]: remote ip address 10.112.112.112
pppd[421]: timeout set to 3 seconds

I am not sure where pppd is getting the 10.64.64.64 and 10.112.112.112
addresses from as I have not configured them. Having said that, I was
running the scripts manually under root to see if that would work as the
"connect" button on the Web admin GUI just results in "modem idle" being
displayed. None of the LED indicators light up on the modem no matter what I
attempt. I also tried 'echo "hello" > /dev/ttys0" but that doesn't cause any
flickering lights either...

Not sure what the problem is really, but would be grateful if somebody could
shed some light... I thought it would be plain sailing after getting the
right NIC installed.

Hopefully, somebody out there will be running ipcop with an external Hayes
compatible modem and will be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

John