[Preston] IPCop and Squid

John preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 13 00:06:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "bod" <bod@planetquake.com>
To: <preston@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Preston] IPCop and Squid

> On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 18:47, John wrote:
> >
> > Having battled with IPCop setup all weekend, I am now considering my
next challenge. I have a Linux server which used to host my ppp dial up
connection (which is now done through the IPCop machine) and also runs Squid
proxy caching server. However, IPCop also runs squid. What I would like to
do is turn squid off on the IPCop machine and route all HTTP / FTP etc. via
the Linux server running Squid. Two questions really, first can I do this
and second is it a case of setting up a firewall rule to allow squid from my
Linux box passage through the firewall. As I run DHCP from IPCop does this
mean that I might need to have a static IP address on the Squid Linux box so
that I can code that IP address in the firewall rules or is there a more
clever way of doing this? Has anybody else got a similar config. The main
reason for not wanting to run squid on the IPCop machine is that it only has
16MB RAM and a 600MB hard drive whereas my linux box has a generous 512MB
RAM and a 4 GB hard drive. Would appreciate any advice.

> Hi John,
> I'd say the answer, as always with Linux, is yes it can be done. You
> definitely don't want to be running Squid on a 16MB box I know that
> much.
> I'm confused as to why you need firewall rules for the squid box? Would
> you not just set the Squid box as your proxy on your main box, then let
> it go get the content for you? Surely this would get through the
> firewall okay.
> Sorry if I've misunderstood - you're getting out of my depth now!
>
> Paul

Paul,

Strange but when I set my browsers on both windows to point to my original
squid box, that box does not seem to route out to the internet. However, if
I point my browsers to the IPCop box IP address then web pages are retrieved
without a problem. So, I am wondering why my original squid box will no
longer connect to the internet now that my firewall is on the IPCop box (if
that makes sense lol)

Cheers for replying

John