[Preston] java for linux

Giacomo Lacava preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 13 15:58:01 2002

>>The java web site at java.sun.com is perfectly adequate - just follow =
the=20
tutorials.

... and be sure of understanding what the CLASSPATH is and how it works =
when you compile packages... usually, it's the first struggle for java =
students like me :)=20
You won't need it for writing simple "helloworld" (and I really learnt it =
after many days), but for real apps it's a must-know :)

I wouldn't recommend a RAD or IDE to begin with; in the java community, =
they are almost always big, bloated and slow, and with too options for a =
novice.=20
First, just install the J2SE SDK; use a simple text editor for writing =
code and learn how to use the basic SDK commands (mainly two: javac and =
javadoc). Then, if you want to build big and complex projects, try by =
yourself the available IDEs (I do almost everything with jEdit and its =
plugins).

The J2EE SDK is needed for all the server-side stuff (JSP, servlet, etc =
etc). I would suggest to let it alone until you will have a good understand=
ing of the basic java :)

bye
giacomo