[Preston] Configuring partitions for Tiny Linux

Phil Edwards preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 3 23:25:01 2002

I have acquired 4 Pentium 133's with 1.2Gb HDD but only 8Mb of memory. I
have played around with Tiny Linux with only very limited success on these
machines, although I did manage to install it on a similar spec 16Mb machine
(it is optimised for 12-20Mb). I now intend to have a play with MuLinux,
another minimal distro to see how that installs (this needs only 8Mb).

So far, I haven't got beyond the installation stage due to lack of time, but
I want to play around with different configurations, maybe run one as a file
server with a couple of the drives in it (and later probably have a go with
Samba and putting a Windows PC on the network), one as a workstation running
the minimal X-Windows add-on that comes with the distro and maybe later try
to set one up as a mail server to see how that works. The fourth, I will
probably put IP Cop on and use it as a firewall (but I may have to invest in
a bit more memory for this if I can find it).

Both Tiny Linux and MuLinux install from about 14 floppy disks, including
add-ons and applications and both will easily fit on a 50-100Mb partition.

So really it's a case of what partitions I should set up and how big to make
them. I figure maybe a 50Mb swap partition, but do I then leave the rest as
a single partition, or should I split this down into a number of smaller
partitions (and for what purposes)?

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Phil