[Preston] Help

Ernie Hayes preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 15:11:00 2002

Adrian Hodgson wrote:
> Can any one point me to any simple HyperTerminal style packages for Linux, I
> am still in need of sorting out the modem ppp connection on the Linux box.
>
> If all else fails?  how do I echo commands such as the AT set to the modem
> on Com1, ttyS0 and see the answers?
>
> Cheers Adrian.
>
> http://www.aphtrading.co.uk/pages/apage1.htm    Weekend Workshop
> http://www.aphtrading.co.uk/pages/apage2.htm    Home made propane Foundry
> http://www.aphtrading.co.uk/pages/apage3.htm    Learning CNC on a Vertical
> Mill

Hi Adrian,

If you run rp3-config to configure the red hat ppp dialer, it has a
debug button. You can see the conversation with the modem as it
connects. One thing to look out for is to make sure that the
"Let PPP do all the authentication" is checked. If you edit the
properties of the connection and select the Advanced tab it should be
the top option.

Hope this helps

Ernie.