[Preston] Tcl & last meet

Hyperion Cantos preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 31 20:14:01 2002

Hello all once again.
  Well im pretty much gutted I didnt make the meet, sounds like it was qu=
it=20
imformative and productive.
 You all sound like sound people, I will have to make sure I make the one=
 in=20
December.
 On another note, related in a small way to one of the topics discussed a=
t the=20
meet, I am trudging my way through learning my very first language.
And as you can imagine, it is a very hard process, and although I am gett=
ing=20
by, some things  I read within the material I am using to learn the langu=
age,=20
looks lik enothing more that gibberisg ROFL.
 I chose Tcl/tk for my first language, is a scripting language with a she=
ll as=20
you all probably know.
"Why did I choose Tcl?" I here you ask, well after looking over all the=20
alternatives, like pascal, c, c++ and yes even old langiages like cobol, =
I=20
found myself drawn to Tcl.
I got through the first 10 or so lessons of the books and papers I have w=
ith=20
relitive ease, were as with the other languages I didnt even get that far=
=2E
 ANother plus about Tcl, was that its becoming very popular within the it=
=20
industry, and also my machine having it was another bonus, plus th novalt=
y of=20
discovering this weird named shell on my system that I had nver heard of=20
before LOL..
 Well during the last meeting I understand that tutorials were discussed,=
 well=20
I just want to say for the record, that I would be very very interested i=
n=20
getting tutorials on tcl from someone in the group. I would gladly sit do=
wn=20
with them on a regular basis and let them instruct me in the laguage.
I would also concider it no hard ship to arie early at any meeting or tut=
orial=20
type events, if a room is found, and sort out all the arangements of seet=
ing=20
and coffee, what ever, before everyone arived.
 I am very keen to learn tcl, and so far have managed to trudge my way=20
through, [set, if, else, elseif, put, (arrays, lists), append, string, in=
cr,=20
expr, switch, while, foreach], and possible a few other.
 I am however, [ROFL] stuck on proc which is tcl's procedure calling func=
tion,=20
and a few other very complicated bits of the language.
 So any and all advice given to me in my persuit of learning the language=
 is=20
always appreciated, and at the mention of help, I POUNCE, on it at full s=
team=20
ahead mode.
 So if their is anyone within the group, who knows tcl, and is in the min=
dset=20
to give advice and guidance to another guy who is trying to learn tcl, th=
en=20
please feel free to email me, or post in the group. Like I said, I would =
be=20
very interested.
 Also an idea I thought of, was teaching begginers how to build their own=
=20
machines, and install linux, by way of the group members bringing in any =
old=20
hardware, they dont use, so we could build like a test machine for the gr=
oup,=20
together as it were.
I have lots of old bits of 66mhz ram, an old duron processor, couple of=20
cdroms, also power packs and old cases, I have the complete insides of an=
 old=20
486 also, Plus many old versions of linux on cd.
 Anyway, I will sign off for, now, please let me know by way of the news=20
group, or via email, if anyone is interested in anything I said.
Regards for now.
Nemes: aka Hyperion