[Preston] Linux on a 486

Paul A Brogden preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 17 09:05:01 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 12:20, Phil Edwards wrote:
> As far as firewalls go, the top two would appear to be Smoothwall and IPC=
op, anyone got experience with either and / or have any particular preferen=
ces? Also, will they support the hardware I describe above or do I need som=
ething higher spec?
>=20

They are basically the same thing - IP Cop is a fork of the Smoothwall
source, and they haven't had time to diverge much yet.

My personal preference is for IP Cop - the head of the Smoothwall team
seems to be in a bad mood *all* the time (try reading the mailing
lists!) and they are moving towards a 'for profit' business model
(closed sourcing their installer, 'pro' version that costs =A3).

(Not that I'm saying that making a profit is a bad thing, but I can see
the home user getting left out in the cold in the long run).

Smoothwall probably scores higher for support - both are patched very
quickly when required, but Smoothwall has a very active user base to
help get things working if you have problems.

Paul.