[Preston] ipchains or iptables

Adrian Hodgson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 19 22:00:01 2002

I am having lots of issues with samba on the linux box to the other PC's
Win 98 etc.

It got better when I used lokkit to change the firewall settings to
enable a trusted eth0 for my local network.  Better in that another pc
can now see some shares not all on the Linux box.  The linux box will
not see any other machine still.  nautelus when browsing smb: can not
find anything.

Now when I boot the Linux box RH7.3 the start up indicates ipchains.
Service config says that both ipchains and iptables servers are running,
should I only have ipchains and switch off iptables.

 From the mags it looks like iptables is the better service but I want
to use Smoothwall later and continue to use the lokkit now.  A mag
review suggested that smoothwall uses ipchains only?

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me

cheers Adrian