[Preston] XFree86 crashing in Debian

Andrew King preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 09:22:04 2003

Hi there,

I should probably be looking at the Debian site / posting to a Debian
list about this, but just on the offchance...

Every Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r0 installation I've done for i386 has had a
serious bug in the window system: if a display manager (gdm|kdm|xdm) is
running, if you Ctrl+Alt+F? out of it into a VC, and don't go back (via
Alt+F7) for about 10 minutes or longer, then XFree86 crashes on your
first keystroke and resets itself.  This happens whether you were at the
login prompt or logged in with programs running.

First thoughts were that it was xscreensaver (since it only happens
after a delay of several minutes), but I uninstalled that on a machine a
couple of months ago and it kept on happening.

If that means anything to anyone and you've also noticed that XFree86
crashes on Debian 3.0r0 if you try and login to KDE 2, you need to open
/etc/kde2/kde2.sh and change this line:

LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify

to:

LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +knotify

Pretty obvious really <g>.  Apparently the +kcminit line is really
important but everything's seemed fine for the past few months without it.

Andrew