Quake 1 (was [Preston] Are we ubergeeks?)

preston@mailman.lug.org.uk preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 17 00:40:00 2003

Richard Bevis said:

> On a somewhat related note, (entertainment wise) does anyone have Quake 1
> running on Linux? I have been trying it and cant persuade it to run, which
> may be something to do with it being compiled against a 2.0 series kernel.

I've had versions of X11 quake, SVGAlib quake, and SDL quake running on
my system.  The first two were before I went to uni, and therefore I
know must have been under 2.2.  I used the Quake HOWTO, here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Quake-HOWTO-2.html

Both X11 and SVGAlib Quake ran absolutely fine as well - that was on
either a Celeron 300 or an Athlon 700, with 32MB or 64MB ram and an S3
Trio graphics card.

Andrew