[Preston] dvd playing under linux

Jim Skelton preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 20:32:01 2003

On Thursday 06 February 2003 6:31 pm, you wrote:

> Just out of interest... do you need the region hack? I have a LiteOn DVD
> drive and although there is a hack available and I couldn't play
> anything but R2 DVDs in Windows, I can play any under linux...! I was
> very pleased when I discovered that...

I think the way it worked was that the early DVD drives relyed on the
software to do the region locking (I think this is known as the rpc1
standard) as this was easy to work around later drives have the region
locking in the firmware (RPC2).

How much noise do dvd drives make? I have a cheap 52x speed cddrive that
sounds like a spindryer when it is running at full pelt. Do All DVD drives
sound like this while playing movies or are some makes quieter than others?

JIm