[Preston] Hello

Andrew King preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 19:30:01 2003

Matthew said:

 > If you don't mind me asking, which school do you work at?  I lived in
 > Penwortham/Preston all my life up until Oct 2001 (now at Lufbra uni).  I
 > went to Priory High (now a 'technical college' I believe).  I was a
 > temporary network admin there for a couple of months when they were
waiting
 > for a new full-time one.  (I hadn't even heard of Linux or Open-Source in
 > those [~1997] days.)

I'm at Moor Park, the old grammar school just opposite PNE.

 > I am keen to delete Windows but there've been a few stumbling blocks:
 >
 > * My Intel HaM winmodem worked find on SuSE 8.0 but not on MDK9 and
without
 > internet access at home (its 10Mbps LAN at uni :D) I can't use Linux
solely
 > (need e-mail, OSNews.com, PlanetUnreal.com etc).

I had fun with them - decided I'd just go ahead and replace it (and that
was during college days when money was more scarce). I went to a
computer fair and explained my situation to the first random stall that
had modems. The guy showed me one and said that sure enough it was a
real hardware modem, so I bought it and got it back only to find that
red hat couldn't see it. Tried it on a windows machine with the driver
disc and sure enough it was a winmodem. The wording on the box didn't
explicitly state that it needed Windows though (else I wouldn't have
bought it). So I rung them up, and got this complete psycho insisting it
wasn't a winmodem and he wouldn't give me my money back. I told the guy
I'd go to trading standards, so he agreed he'd refund it then.

Ended up having to bike to south port (15-20 miles from Preston?), and
the guy really was a psycho. Wouldn't like to see him again without a
few years of martial arts training. His shop was well dodgyt hough -
tiny thing right behind a house, so that you'd have no idea it was there
if you walked past on the street. So that's possibly why he didn't want
trading standards to know.

Got an ISA 56k one in the end - it's been fine.

 > * Office Software seems not too great at the moment.  OOo is nice but
looks
 > terrible and doesn't read my M$ Office documents too well (or 'convert'
 > them, at all).
 >
 > If you have any pointers, I'd be really pleased to hear from you.

I've made do with Abiword/OO/KWord/vi and a canon BJC-4200 and survived,
but admittedly get away without having to use office software that often
- mostly just for CV's and when management need something in writing.
Hoping to get away with TeX when I get back to uni, but things might
have changed by then anyway. I can see how it could be a hard time
persuading someone who uses Office 2000 a lot to switch to any of the
other open source alternatives - there's no way it's going to happen
here in the next couple of years at least.

 > Also,
 > which distro of Linux do you use?

Started off on Red Hat, then switched to Debian last year. I think that
Red Hat and Mandrake (and SuSe no doubt - haven't tried it) are great
for helping people get into Linux, and if you really can't be bothered
to spend hours setting everything up for a particular machine, and so
still suggest to ppl getting started to go for one of them - but
Debian's great for the apt-get system (especially with broadband). Just
installed Debian on a nice scsi 1GB UK-Online rackmount system we've
been given today.

 > Do you prefer GNOME or KDE?

Hard choice - have used KDE 1, 2, and 3 and GNOME 1 all for at least a
few weeks each. The virtual screen thing that Gnome has, where you can
move the mouse to the edge of the screen and it flips over to the next
desktop, is definitely useful imo, and afaik KDE doesn't let us do this
(would be grateful if someone could prove me wrong there).

 > I am also waiting to switch until Gnopernics is out (screen
reader/magnifier
 > for GTK+2) but as soon as I have these things sorted out I'll be 100% on
 > Linux :).  There is nothing more annoying than buggy access software on a
 > buggy OS that you know you could fix (or try to :D) if you had the source
 > code....  I should thank M$ as they've given me a great motivation to
 > discover something much better and hopefully migrate to it :D.

That's a point - can you replace Access for at least fairly basic
database stuff by using front ends to MySQL/PostgreSQL now, does anyone
know?

At school, for one thing, I've been keeping tables of all our IT stuff
(in HTML, stupidly). It's now at 268 workstations, printers, laptops,
etc, and it'd be useful to be able to find out straight away what's in a
certain department, what a particular staff member has signed out, etc
etc. Reckon that's worth having a go at implementing as an SQL database?

 > LUG meetings are always good but I am currently only able to make
 > those here
 > at Lufbra.  Maybe at Easter there will be a PLUG meeting - I'd love
to > come along.

Other random question, if anyone's reading this: we've got a rackmount
cabinet - fairly tall one - probably something like 6ft, and it's full
of switches and patch panels and so on. So we got given this rackmount
server a few months ago, only to find that it doesn't fit. In terms of
height, it's 1u, but it goes back further than the cabinet - it's about
1.5x the cabinet in terms of how far it goes back. Is there any kind of
standard measurement system for depth of rackmount devices, in the same
way that they're 19 inches wide and so many 'u's high? Current plan is
to just rest it on the top.

Andrew