Quake 1 (was [Preston] Are we ubergeeks?)

Andrew King preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 21:16:02 2003

Richard Bevis said ages ago:

> Indeed - a ubergeek should be capable of hand entering an operating system
> onto their VMS box. In octal. On the toggle switches on the front panel.
>
> On a somewhat related note, (entertainment wise) does anyone have Quake 1
> running on Linux? I have been trying it and cant persuade it to run, which
> may be something to do with it being compiled against a 2.0 series kernel.

Just managed to get SDL Quake running really easily, so here's hopefully
a straight forward way to get Quake running under Linux.  You'll need
the SDL libraries (dev too):

(1) Go to: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/quake
(2) Download sdlquake-1.0.9.tar.gz
(3) Extract it with tar -zxvf sdlquake-1.0.9.tar.gz
(4) cd sdlquake-1.0.9.tar.gz
(4) ./configure
(5) make
(6) Copy the id1/ subdirectory from an original quake installation
into this directory.
(7) Run ./sdlquake

That's the easy bit.  Then you have the fun task of figuring our which
set of kernels, graphics drivers, etc you need to actually make the
thing run at more than 5fps on your system.  I'm about to start looking
into this and will hopefully have some answers soon, but there's one
thing I've been wondering all along if anyone knows this:

My system is an AMD Athlon 700MHz, 512MB, ATI Rage Pro 128 TF, device ID
1787:0801 (which my system reassuringly calls 'Unknown device' - they
really must be trying to make Linux compatible with Windows these days -
there'll be a yellow and black exclamation mark by it in a future
release no doubt).

I know that NVidia and ATI have been releasing closed source binary
drivers for their graphics cards, but I'm basically wondering if it's
possible to get full screen (1024x768, 16 bit colour) graphics going on
a system like this without having to resort to installing proprietary
drivers.

If I find anything out I'll post some answers.  One starting point looks
to be: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Gamers-HOWTO/index.html

Andrew