[Preston] Mandrake 9.1 experience

John preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 21:16:03 2003

I am just downloading RedHat 9.0.... I downloaded RH 8.0 a couple fo weeks
ago but I have found it to be very unstable in comparison to 7.3 (keeps
crashing and hanging) so I am hoping that 9.0 is much better...

I recently got onto Broadband via Tiscali (BT Broadband)... When I was using
a 56k dialup connection, I was able to make good use of IPCOP as a firewall
but at the moment I am having to use M$ to connect as Tiscali say they don't
support Linux. I am hoping to figure out how to get my USB ADSL modem to
work under Linux (well, IPCOP really). Has anybody out there got a Broadband
connection via USB ADSL modem working under Linux? My USB modem is a sagem
f@st 800 which I believe is Linux compatible but so far as I can tell not
IPCOP compatible...

Back to Mandrake, someone told me that they are on the verge of going out of
existence... I used Mandarke for a while a year or so ago and it was okay
but Red Hat seems to be gaining in popularity along with Suse... Have to say
though APT is way better than RPM.... APT-GET UPGRADE / UPDATE makes life so
much easier... Wish they would stick to the same files and directories in
etc though (not just Debian but all the distros)... One Linux standard would
be nice wouldn't it!!! One Unix (based on Linux) would be even better..