[Preston] GFDL not free?

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Sat Nov 22 00:29:09 GMT 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:08:15PM -0000, David Farrell wrote:
> Note to self - Don't send e-mails after many beers...
>
> Open sharing of documentation is the only way to do things. I work in
> data networks, and there is nothing worse than something not being doc'd
> when it breaks, and the person who built it coincidentally being on
> leave.

Yes, I've had that - not pleasant!  It really doesn't take too long either to just leave a few notes saying "This is what's where, here's where we left all the drivers, and here's all the stuff we never got round to" and so on either.

I've looked at the GFDL, and don't understand why the complexity is necessary.  There are also the licenses at http://creativecommons.org/, such as the attribution only license.  Even these kind of look fairly complex though.  I think I'mtempted to put my stuff under a simple BSD-style license, such as the one here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ln16.html

> Off to build gentoo on a 486. that'll keep me quiet.

Good luck - I'm struggling enough trying to install it on a K6-333 with 192MB :)  I'm sure it could be worth the effort though.

> Anyone ever played with mythtv? I got it working but wanna use a digi
> card (like wintv nova-t).

Haven't seen that one sorry.  Have messed with tvtime, xawtv, kwintv and zapping, but only got one of them to work once, where it displayed BBC2 badly on every channel.

Andrew