[Preston] Anyone any experiences with watchdog?

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 09:31:28 BST 2004

On Sunday 11 April 2004 17:10, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> On Sunday 11 April 2004 17:02, bod wrote:
> > Can't help you with Watchdog, but I did have a similar problem with the
> > 2.6.x kernel locking up on me. I eventually tracked it down to the HPET
> > Timer Support in Processor type and features. Since I disabled that I
> > haven't locked once.
>
> Thanks Paul. I've just checked my kernel and that option isn't enabled, so
> I guess it isn't that.
>
> Dougie

Further to this I've just come across a kernel parameter in 2.6.4 under
Character Devices called HANGCHECK_TIMER. The description says:

==
Hangcheck timer (HANGCHECK_TIMER)

The hangcheck-timer module detects when the system has gone
out to lunch past a certain margin. It can reboot the system
or merely print a warning.
==

I've disabled watchdog and removed the package. I've tried re-compiling the
kernel unchecking as many things as possible. One source of the freezing
might be because I've got SMP checked. I'm running on a dual processer PIII.
No APM/APIC.

Anyway, back to HANGCHECK_TIMER. Sounds interesting but I can't find any
documentation on it. Has anyone else come across it?

Dougie