[Preston] Reading an encrypted file from a windows machine

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 14:27:10 BST 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 12:33, jeremy ekers wrote:

> How about ssh?
>
> You haven't said what kind of network is between the 2 machines - is it
> secure/under your control? Is this wifi?

They're networked. I'd like to set up something up that Mrs Dougie can just
click on and type a password. A couple of years ago I bought and installed
Xdeep - an X emulator. I have limited success with that by getting it to call
a remote wrapper script, something along the lines of

	xterm -e /usr/local/bin/lesspass

where lesspass contains

	gpg --decrypt passfile | less -i

but it only works after a fashion. Whenever I run the Xserver software on the
windows PC it tends to become a bit unstable, or a bit more unstable. I'd
really rather have a copy of the file on the windows PC.

Another thought I had was zipping it up on linux PC then scp'ing to the
windows PC. I've not investigating whether I can zip  something with a
password, and whether winzip can unzip it.

Hmmm, from the 'zip' man page:

  -e     Encrypt the contents of the zip archive using a  password  which
              is  entered  on  the terminal in response to a prompt (this will
              not be echoed; if standard error is not a  tty,  zip  will  exit
              with  an  error).   The  password prompt is repeated to save the
              user from typing errors.

I might have a muckabout with that later.

Dougie