[Preston] Reading an encrypted file from a windows machine

James Green jkg-plug at earth.li
Tue Apr 20 17:52:34 BST 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:17:09PM +0100, jeremy ekers wrote:

> I believe zip and MS Word 'encryption' is easily crackable. (google is
> your fiend: http://www.stack.nl/~galactus/remailers/index-crack.html).

Yeah, I found that earlier; I saw "remailers" in the URL and decided it
didn't look the most reputable source in the world. Had I noticed at the
time it was a stack.nl user I might have had more faith in it, since I
know a few Good People there.

> | Are there not PGP-like things for Windows that will do what you want?
> | I've not looked, really, having not used Windows for a while now. A
> | friend of mine swears by BestCrypt (http://www.jetico.com/) -- then
> | again, he's firmly convinced that various UK and/or US government
> | agencies have backdoors to crack PGP, so I'm not sure how seriously I'd
> | take his opinions :-)
>
> Use GPG, being compatible without those pesky holes (or was that moles?).

His claim related to the OpenPGP standard, not any one specific piece of
software, as I understand it. Not that I believe it :)

--
PGP fingerprint 3E85 0C7A FE11 42E9 A599 094D AE16 90F0 81AE 16FF, ID 81AE16FF
One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has