[Preston] Linux failure

chris chris at thefraggle.com
Wed Aug 18 22:40:14 BST 2004

Hi,

rtfming would always help, as well as asking on lists such as these how to
load modules, to get your network card sound card working, and how to
configure cups to print? Diddnt you read some sort of documentation when you
installed hardware etc under windows?

Hello Linux Users.  I have installed Mandrake 10.0 from three CDs from the
front of Linux Format magazine,It will not recognise my sound card / modem /
network card/ nor epson stylus 600 colour printer,or my digital camera.    I
have now unistalled Mandrake and installed Fedora Code 2, from two CDs from
the Linux format magazine,result ---same problems as Mandrake.As a possible
new user of Linux how on earth am I supposed to get all the affore mentioned
components to work,It looks very complicated to get the correct drivers.also
if I get the drivers in zip form,how do I install them.  with Windows xp
it's very easy for not very expert users of the computer.       I think if
Linux is to succeed with inexperienced Home users it will have to be easier
to install and update drivers etc for all the attached equipment.      I may
give up before I have started with Linux!     Help!   Jack   senior citizen,
Freckleton.

The two distros you mentioned using, from my own experience are rather easy
to use and they have an abundance
of graphical helper applications that help you configure your system with
ease.

As with any software, in order for it to be used effectively, you need to do
a little research, which you musn't have done,
seings you couldnt use your vital hardware, such as network card and
printer.

IIRC with mandrake there were html'ized documents installed somewhere in
/usr/share/doc, which give you a list of howtos etc, another good place to
gain clue would be to go to sites such as www.google.com and www.tldp.org.

Regards,
Chris

---