[Preston] Linux failure

Roger Siddle roger at davcrane.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 08:38:07 BST 2004

Hi Jack

I have tried to install Mandrake 10 and experienced similar problems to
yourself (also using
LXF cdroms).  Also found Fedora Core 1 unsatisfactory (haven't tried 2).

Mandrake 9.2 installs well (for me), correctly setting up network, sound
etc.
If you then _update_ 9.2 with 10.0 it leaves your settings as it found them
and you have
all the latest software (if you really need it).  If you haven't got 9.2 and
would like to try this
route email me at roger at daviesandcrane.co.uk

> I think if Linux is to succeed with inexperienced Home users it will have
to be easier to
> install and update drivers etc for all the attached equipment.

Agreed, but one tip is to stay away from x.0 distributions (apart from
Debian 3.0).
Once you have a solid working installation stick with it - don't install the
latest
distro just to see what it does.

Roger