[Preston] DVD playing

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 22:44:42 GMT 2004

I've paid zero interest in this until today when I replaced a knackered CDROM
with a DVD rewriter. It's a whole new world. After working out that DVDs are
encrypted (well I didn't know) I managed to find some software that would
allow xine to play them. So far this amounts this only amounts to the opening
credits of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but it's a start. 'xine-check'
tells me I should run hdparm -d1 to switch on DMA for my DVD (which is
secondary master /dev/hdc) but when I try that I get

root at tbird2:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

It says that about any drive so perhaps I need to install something or tweak
the kernel? I read some dire stuff about hdparm recently in the debian user
newsgroup so I'm a bit cautious - that usually means I hesitate for a second
or two, then press <return> anyway.

I'm running kernel 2.4.22 Debian testing on a KT7 mobo with Athlon 850.

Dougie